Bridgeport is a village in Belmont County. It lies across the Ohio River from Wheeling, West Virginia, and is connected by two bridges, one to Wheeling Island and one to Wheeling West Virginia across the Ohio River.
Bridgeport was originally known as Canton, and under the latter name was laid out in 1806 by Colonel Ebenezer Zane. The present name is for a bridge constructed near the town site in the 1810s.
Bridgeport is the hometown of Bobby Douglas, Olympic wrestler and John Havlicek, Hall of Fame basketball great for Ohio State and Boston Celtics; member of OSU's 1960 championship team and Boston Celtics 1960's NBA championship dynasty.
Total Area:1.38 square miles (3.57 km2)
Land: 1.37 square miles (3.55 km2)
Water: 0.01 square miles (0.03 km2)
656 ft. (200 m)
Pasko RoadBridgeport, OH 43912
Enjoy your walk on Ohio’s Official Bicentennial Bridge… Ohio’s oldest bridge.
329 Bennett StreetBridgeport, OH 43912
Historic Kirkwood is where Bridgeport roots were planted. It was Joseph Kirkwood (1784–1856) who established a settlement on the west side of the Ohio River.